1. Always make offerings when asking the dead for favors.
2. Mix powered palo muerto with dirt from 9 cemeteries for calling the dead.
3. Burn anise, cardamom and coriander when working with spirit guides.
4. Never place photos of the living on altars for the dead.
5. Burn acacia to bring good spirits.
6. Keep ancestor altars and altars to the dead clean. Dirt and dust attracts negative entities.
7. Boil palo muerto in river water to make a wash to cleanse negative spirits and draw good spirits.
8. Bathe with an eggplant before working with the dead for Oya's help.
9. When entering a graveyard, never walk in with your eyes closed. The dead think you are one if them.
10. Always leave a gift at the front when entering a graveyard like bread, water, cigarette, fruit or liquor.
11. Wearing lavender in your left shoe will keep the dead from following you home.
12. Always take a cleansing bath when returning home from doing work in a cemetery.
13. Always have boundaries and rules for spirit guides so they know when they can approach.
14. Carry life everlasting when entering a forgotten graveyard.
15. Never feed your pets leftovers from an ancestor altar.